CATALOGUING GREEK INSCRIPTIONS
One of the main activities of the Greek Epigraphic Society is the identification and recording in a systematic manner and on the basis of the autopsy of the monuments the inscriptions kept in the Museums, the museum storerooms, the archaeological sites and the Ephorates of Antiquities of Greece. This activity is pursued with the permission of and the close collaboration with the Greek Archaeological Service.
In pursuing this work, the Greek Epigraphic Society seeks to contribute to the major project of the evaluation and recording of the epigraphic treasures of Greece and to serve the cause -which constitutes primarily a moral obligation of the Greek state- to preserve and protect the monuments of Greece’s past.
So far the following work has been completed or is in progress by the members of the Society independently or in collaboration with colleagues of the Greek Archaeological Service:
- The inscriptions kept on the Akropolis of Athens
[see A. P. Matthaiou – G. E Malouchou, A Catalogue of the Akropolis inscriptions, Athens 1992. A printed electronic publication (in collaboration with Ath. Themos and Maria Diakoumakou).
- The inscriptions displayed in the National Archaeological Museum
[see Y. N. Kalliontzes – El. Papoutsaki, HΟΡΟΣ 17-21, 2004-2009, 601-615].
- The inscriptions of the Peiraeus Museum
(A complete printed electronic version by Ath. Themos)
- The inscriptions of the Museum of Thebes and Chaeroneia
[see Y. N. Kalliontzes, Les catalogues synoptiques des inscriptions des Musées de Thèbes et de Chéronée, in Δελτίον (Deltion) τῆς Ἑλληνικῆς Ἐπιγραφικῆς Ἑταιρείας, June 2011 (www.epigraphicsociety.org.gr)
- The inscriptions of the island of Ikaria
[see A. P. Matthaiou – G. K Papadopoulos, Inscriptions of Ikaria, Greek Epigraphy Society, ΕΠΙΓΡΑΦΙΚΟΝ ΠΙΤΤΑΚΙΟΝ 1, Athens 2003, pp. 106, tab. 33].
- The inscriptions of the Museum of Chios
[see G. E. Malouchou – A. P. Matthaiou, A Catalogue of the inscriptions in the Μuseum of Chios, in Χιακὸν Συμποσιον in memory of W. G. Forrest, G. E. Malouchou – A. P. Matthaiou (eds), Greek Epigraphic Society, Athens 2006, 185-252.
- The inscriptions of the Museums of Mytilene
[see D. Stathaki, ΗΟΡΟΣ 17-21, 2004-2009, 617-634].
- The inscriptions of the Archaeological Collection of Eresos (Lesbos)
[see D. Stathaki, The Catalogue of the inscriptions of the Archaeological Collection of Eresos (Lesbos) in Δελτίον (Deltion) τῆς Ἑλληνικῆς Ἐπιγραφικῆς Ἑταιρείας, April 2011 (www.epigraphicsociety.org.gr)
- The inscriptions of the Museum of Naxos
(A complete printed electronic version by V. Bardani)
- The inscriptions of the Museum of Siphnos
(A complete printed electronic version by Z. Papadopoulou, N. Papazarakadas)
- The inscriptions of the Archaeological Museum of Messenia in Kalamata
(in preperation: A. Makres, M. Diakoumakou)
- The inscriptions of the Museum of Messene
(A complete printed electronic version in: V. Bardani)
- The inscriptions of the Museums of Sparta and Gytheion
(in preperation: E. Zavvou, Ath. Themos)
- The inscriptions of the island of Anaphe
(in preperation: G. K. Papadopoulos, E. Zavvou, Ath. Themos)
- The inscriptions of the island of Paros
(in preperation: Z. Papadopoulou, A. P. Matthaiou, G. K. Papadopoulos)
The Greek Epigraphic Society has made the decision to make available its work on cataloguing Greek inscriptions on its website so that it can readily be shared by the international scholarly community.
Responsible for the editing and presentation of this work on the website are Dr A. Makres and Dr G. Malouchou.
A. P. MATTHAIOU